Gone are the days when you have to remove your ECU from your vehicle and then ship it away to be reprogrammed. These days, you can reprogram your ECU right in your driveway! Read on to learn all about the RICA i-Softloader System and how it makes tuning your ECU so much easier.
What Is A RICA i-Softloader System?
The RICA i-Softloader System gives you complete control over your ECU. It's a great modern solution that allows you to do your tuning right in your driveway without the need for a laptop.
The system is basically an ECU upgrade that's designed to boost performance. It comes with a handheld programmer so you can install the tune yourself instead of shipping away your ECU. It comes with loads of great features. For example:
- With a RICA i-Softloader System, you can switch between standard ECU software and RICA performance software with the touch of a button. You can also revert back to the standard software program in minutes whenever you wish.
- RICA also offers customized software to optimize additional modifications. If there is not a file already developed for your set of modifications, then data from a dyno run can be set to us to have a custom file created. The cost of custom files starts at $200 USD depending on what is required.
- You can have the software adapted to either a manual or automatic transmission. This provides the best performance and drivability.
What Are The Benefits Of Having A RICA i-Softloader?
A RICA i-Softloader System doesn't only boost your car's performance, but it also brings a lot of benefits. For instance:
- You do not have to be without a car for 3-4 days while you ship your ECU away to be programmed. (And hope that the shipping company does not lose your package!)
- You can download any software upgrades and updates into the i-Softloader system via your home computer. You do not have to remove and ship your ECU for upgrades or updates.
- The system allows you to flash your car's stock program back into the ECU when you have to bring your vehicle in to the dealer for maintenance.
- RICA offers different stage programs to match the parts installed on your vehicle.
- You'll get high hp and torque gains plus the largest selection of stage programs available.
How Does A RICA i-Softloader System Work?
Here's how the process works:
- When you order a RICA i-Softloader System online, you'll receive an email requesting certain information about your vehicle.
- The i-Softloader will be shipped to you.
- Connect the i-Softloader to your ECU via the OBD2 diagnostics port and then upload your car's original software to the i-Softloader.
- Connect the i-Softloader to your computer and upload the car's software to RICA.
- Once RICA receives the original software, they will select the correct tune file required for your car, or put together a custom tune file if you requested one. A software file can take 15 - 45 minutes to prepare (during normal business hours).
- Once complete, the modified software is made available for download to the i-Softloader.
- Plug the i-Softloader into the OBD2 port and upload the tune file from RICA into the vehicle's ECU.
- The car should be test driven to ensure that it is performing correctly and that no DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are present.
Frequently Asked Questions About The RICA i-Softloader System
The RICA i-Softloader System is pretty straightforward. However, people still have a lot of questions about it. Here's a list of the most frequently asked questions about the system:
Can I Use My i-Softloader In More Than One Car?
The i-Softloader can be used on more then one vehicle, unlike the competition's PPC unit which "marries" itself to the car. The PPC system can't be unlocked or reprogrammed to work with another car. RICA tune files for additional models range in price from $695 to $795 depending on the year, model, and engine of the vehicle. The i-Softloader is programmed so that it can't install a tune on the wrong car.
Will My i-Softloader System Improve Fuel Consumption?
This depends on your driving habits. If you are using the extra power from the i-Softloader upgrade, you will use more gas. However, during normal cruising, fuel economy will usually be the same as stock or even improved. Optimized software in the ECU means that you will get more power and less fuel consumption in light throttle situations.
Can I Upgrade Engine Components?
It's very important that the software is adapted to the specific hardware that's assembled on your car. RICA offers stage upgrade packages that match many sets of upgrades. If you have added components that do not match one of the stage programs, we strongly advise you to have RICA do a custom program.
Can My Garage & Technician See That My Car Has Been Tuned?
Your local garage normally doesn’t have the skill or equipment to read out files from the ECU. To do this, they have to send the ECU to Bosch or the car manufacturer. The i-Softloader doesn't in any way affect the ordinary service performed by your dealer.
How Does The i-Softloader Tuning System Know That It Is Upgrading The Correct Car?
Safety checks are performed to verify that the car has the expected software before the actual upgrade starts.
What Do I Do If The Current Software In My Car Does Not Match What The i-Softloader Tuning System Expects?
When the safety check fails, the system offers the ability to read your car's current settings. This information can then be transmitted to RICA by connecting the i-Softloader to an Internet-connected PC. Our developers will then analyze your cars settings and create a new upgrade. The new customized upgrade can then be loaded into the i-Softloader and installed in your car.
How Does The i-Softloader Communicate With My Home Computer?
By USB port available on most Windows based computers.
Can I Use The i-Softloader If My Car's ECU Already Has An Upgrade?
Your car's ECU has to be returned to its original configuration to be able to use the i-Softloader.
How Can I Access The Latest Version Of The Upgrade For My Car?
If RICA develops an enhanced version of a tuning program for your car, we will notify our customers via e-mail. We will also provide instructions on how to download this new information into the i-Softloader using a home computer with internet connection. Enhanced versions of the same "Stage" software will be provided at no charge.
What Is Included In My Order?
The i-Softloader is shipped with all the cables needed to upgrade your car, as well as cables to connect it to a computer for future upgrades
Can I Start With Stage 1 And Later Upgrade From There?
Yes. If you start with Stage 1 and later decide to go to Stage 2 (for models with an upgraded exhaust), we will provide an upgrade for an additional cost of $200 USD. An upgrade to Stage 3 (turbo upgrade) is $400 USD.
How Do I Get Support?
EuroSport Tuning provides complete support you if you need assistance with using the i-Softloader. You can contact us here with any questions or requests for assistance.