Are you thinking about installing a high flow catalytic converter to your car? Are you wondering how much power it will add?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The amount of horsepower you will get from a high flow catalytic converter depends on your engine and the modifications you have made to it. You may see a horsepower gain of as little as 5 hp or as much as 60 hp. You may also get an extra 5-60 ft lbs of torque.
Engine Upgrades That Make A High Flow Catalytic Converter Worth It
A high flow catalytic converter is a great upgrade, but only when your engine has at least 20% more power than stock. Two or more of the following upgrades to the engine make a high flow catalytic converter a good idea:
- Exhaust headers
- Nitro upgrade
- Performance air intake system
- Tuning kit
- Other upgrades that significantly boost your engine’s performance
How Does A High Flow Catalytic Converter Increase Horsepower?
Your car’s stock exhaust system is designed to handle the power a stock engine produces. It should be able to handle a little extra power, too. A high flow catalytic converter might not be worthwhile if your engine produces only a little bit more power.
The more power your engine produces, the more exhaust gases it creates. A stock exhaust system that is designed correctly for a stock engine usually is too restrictive after more extensive performance modifications have been made. A high flow catalytic converter allows exhaust gases to flow through at a higher rate, lessening the restriction.
Is your engine packed with performance upgrades? Does it punch out 20% more power than stock? If so, we definitely recommend installing a high flow catalytic converter. The extra gases have to flow out of the engine as fast as possible. A high flow catalytic converter allows for an optimal flow of exhaust gases. This optimizes all your performance modifications.
If you're still on the fence about upgrading to a high flow catalytic converter, look at this guide. It should help you reach a decision.
The catalytic converter takes a lot of abuse. To get the most value out of your high flow catalytic converter, get one that:
- Is built well with quality materials
- Complies with emission regulations
What does a well-built high flow catalytic converter look like, though? For starters, look for one that has:
- High quality corrosion-resistant materials, such as 304 stainless steel or aircraft-grade stainless steel
- Great welds
- The right dimensions to fit your car (stay away from high flow catalytic converters with universal fitment)
High Flow Catalytic Converters At EuroSport Tuning
At EuroSport Tuning, we're very diligent about offering the best quality high flow catalytic converters. We do this by selecting the most reputable brands on the market. Only a few brands made the cut, and they include:
- ECS Tuning
- 034 Motorsport
- Turner Motorsport
From these elite brands, we carry:
- High flow catalytic converters
- Parts, such as downpipes, with high flow catalytic converters built in
Check out our inventory of high flow catalytic converters to see if we have something for your car! Here are some of our best sellers:
- Audi B8 A4/A5 High Flow Catalytic Converter And 3.0" Downpipe Kit: Provides performance gains of up to 27 WHP and comes with a complete install kit
- Audi B9 A4/A5 2.0T High Flow Catalytic Converter: Provides performance gains of up to 14 WHP and comes with a complete install kit
- Turner Motorsport N54 Downpipes - With High Flow Catalytic Converter: For select BMW models and manufactured with 304 stainless steel
- Milltek High Flow Catalytic Converter - A4 1.8T B5/B6 quattro: Manufactured with aircraft-grade stainless steel to ISO 9001 standards
- 034 Motorsport High Flow Catalytic Converter w/Installation Hardware Kit- 1.8T: For select Audi and Volkswagen models and made with 304 stainless steel
- IE Cast Downpipe For 2.0T AWD IE (Integrated Engineering) Cast Downpipe For 2.0T AWD: A great downpipe for the MK7 VW Golf R
Please contact us if you need help finding the right high flow catalytic converter for your car.